Are you a 50+ woman with an hourglass shape?
These Style Tips are for you!
- Emphasise your waist!
- Avoid straight clothes without any waist shaping. Why hide your best asset?
- Choosing smooth fabrics with stretch or draping will work with your shape. You can’t wrap a ball in stiff paper, so why hide your hourglass body shape with stiff fabrics?
- Choose well-fitting, supportive bras. Straps of the correct length will keep your bust on your chest, not your waist!
- Lightly fitted tops will emphasise your shape. Avoid tops that are too tight – unless you want to look like Marilyn Monroe!
- When buying a top, look for ruching and draping over the bust which will be flattering. Wrap tops work well if you have a fuller bust, too.
- A curvy sweetheart neckline will enhance your silhouette.
- Medium-low necklines are the most flattering if you have a fuller bust. A high neckline will not be your best look.
- Tucking your tops into jeans, trousers or skirts will help ensure your waistline is defined.
- If you are ‘tucking in’ and the trousers or jeans have belt loops, put a belt in!
- If you’d rather not ‘tuck in’, wear a belt around your waist with longer tops and shirts.
- Got great legs? Show them off by wearing a pencil skirt that fits over your curves but isn’t too tight (or too short – Jessica Rabbit is not an Hourglass role model!).
- A full skirt, which hides your tummy and hips, is definitely worth a try. It’s counter-intuitive but it really works.
- If you are tall with an hourglass shape, your top and skirt could be in different colours.
- Keeping your top and skirt in the same colour if you are petite will help you appear taller – if you want to!
- Add a belt to define your waist – a wide belt if you are tall; a thin belt if you are petite.
- Softer material or leather belts will mould to your body, rather than stiff leather belts which will ‘stand away’ from your silhouette.
- Dresses will look wonderful on your hourglass shape when they have some waist shaping. Keep away from straight, shift dresses; rather choose dresses that gently hug your curves.
- Wrap dresses or fit and flare dresses will be very flattering,
- Or look out for dresses that are cleverly seamed and darted around the middle to accommodate your shapely body while maintaining a waistline.
- Love to wear trousers and jeans? Choose styles in fabric that stretches. Anything that’s stiff and starchy will stand away from your waist at the back.
- Deep darts at trouser waistbands work well. If you are short-waisted, though, choose a style without a waistband.
- Wide leg, straight-cut or boot-leg trousers or jeans will show off your hourglass shape to perfection.
- Wearing skinny jeans tucked into knee high boots will create balance to your look.
- Look for jackets with some waist shaping and avoid straight-cut jackets without any shaping at all.
For women with hourglass figures, it’s all about defining your waist. Remember that, and you won’t go far wrong!