Fashion is awash with rules, and here at SoSensational we can’t help but think a few of these rules need to be broken.
So here are our 5 rules grown up women can definitely break…
- Muted Tones – Now we are not saying buy an entirely fluorescent wardrobe, however look to stars like Sandra Bullock (51), Julianne Moore (55) and Helen Mirren (70) on how to wear feminine pastels and strong bold colours well into your 50s and beyond. Colour is extremely flattering, and works perfectly a big events to stand out in a sea of black.
- Mini Skirts – OK so hear us out on this one, whilst we are not condoning micro minis there is absolutely nothing wrong with a fit and flare mini to add a little upgrade to your polished summer wardrobe. Style with tailored pieces, and keep the focus on the legs not the bottom!
- Bare Arms – We always hear that people should cover their arms as they get older, but that rule has been well and truly broken by Goldie Hawn (70), Angela Bassett (57) and Helen Hunt (53) in their subtlety sexy strapless gowns. Ensure that the cut supports you and straight across or slight sweetheart rather than a plunging neckline is a must, think structured and style with a killer statement necklace.
- Do Denim – whoever made the crazy rule that denim shouldn’t be worn after a certain age has clearly never understood what denim does to a basic vest for a relaxed look on a mature woman. Also since you are going to be wearing these jeans for years to come treat yourself to some investment denim.
- Bikinis – Nicole Kidman (49), Christie Brinkley (62), Kris Jenner (60)… The list is endless of women over 40, 50 and 60 wearing bikinis and looking sensational. Sosensational in fact. Of course fit is key, and support is a must but isn’t that true of any age – wearing what works for your body isn’t an age thing and having a great fitting bikini is a must in every wardrobe from 21 to 71, and beyond.
What do you think of breaking these rules? Would you wear a mini skirt or a bikini? Tell us what you think below…
[su_button url=”http://www.sosensational.co.uk/blog/” target=”blank” background=”#6c20b1″ size=”7″ center=”yes” radius=”0″ icon=”icon: arrow-right”]See our other style blogs here[/su_button]