At SoSensational we believe the Cold Shoulder is a totally brilliant fashion trend for the 50-plus woman, as shoulders are one area of our body we can confidently put on show long after the tops of our arms and even our décolletage may require a bit of camouflage work.
The Cold Shoulder arrived last winter and was an instant hit incorporated in oversized jumpers with cut-outs at the shoulders. The meaning of Cold Shoulder in fashion has changed, btw. For purists and those of us over 50, a cold shoulder meant a one-shoulder dress or top; now it means cut-outs on both shoulders.
The Cold Shoulder in its new incarnation is back big-time for S/S16 appearing on spring-weight tops and on blouses and dresses, and available at every price point and in many fabrics and lots of colours. In fact, it is very much a case of Cold Shoulder; Hot Look!
The clever way for a 50-plus woman to work the Cold Shoulder trend is with a cold-shoulder top or blouse, teamed with a skirt (midi or maxi), culottes or almost any shape trousers or jeans.
And another clever thing is that a cold shoulder top can easily be worn under a jacket giving a cold shoulder top a double life for both weekends and work! Tuck one under a biker jacket for off-duty wear before the temps rise, and under a sleek blazer for the office.
And there’s more versatility as the Cold Shoulder can work both for casual and dressed-up occasions – for casual wear team your cold-shoulder top with jeans or joggers and luxe trainers or plimsolls. For dressier occasions, choose a Cold Shoulder top in black, dark navy or another neutral and in maybe a smoother or silky finish fabric, then team it with culottes, a pleated skirt or silky joggers and add strappy sandals or jewelled flats and a clutch or a small bag on a chain handle. Then pile on the jewellery – statement necklace or earrings; get a great blow-dry, apply some make-up and you’ll be a wow in your Cold Shoulder top!
- If you are wearing trousers or a skirt with volume, choose a close-fitting (but not tight) top to avoid neck to hem volume.
- If you are blessed with a generous bust, seek out a cold-shoulder top with a lower neckline – either scoop, U or V, or choose a cold-shoulder blouse and leave the top couple of buttons undone.
- Don’t forget to pull up or roll up the sleeves of your cold-shoulder top to the elbows – a stylists’ clever trick to create the illusion of longer legs.
- If you are worried about revealing your bra straps, hide them by tying them together at the back with ribbon OR choose a bra in a pretty shade and put the straps on show!
- Get your shoulders in tip-top condition by giving them a scrub with a loofah or a body polisher-plus-exfoliator. Then smooth in some super rich body lotion so they have a healthy glow.
Will you try out the new cold shoulder trend?
[su_button url=”http://www.sosensational.co.uk/shop/cold-shoulder/” target=”blank” background=”#6c20b1″ size=”7″ center=”yes” radius=”0″ icon=”icon: arrow-right”]Shop Cold Shoulder[/su_button]